FACE is thrilled to announce our Youth Humane Education Programs! We have partnered with local youth organizations including ProKids, Lincoln Acres Library, and Access Youth Academy to create animal-focused Humane Education classes for youth in our community.
Thanks to a generous grant from the Boys and Girls Foundation, FACE hosts several educational, animal-focused classes for youth in the San Diego community. Classes cover topics such as basic animal care, interpreting animal behaviors and cues, the importance of spay and neuter, how to safely approach a dog (where students get to “meet and greet” a trained therapy dog), and even careers in various animal fields, which includes a tour of the 3-story, 26,000 sq. ft. Veterinary Specialty Hospital in Sorrento Valley. FACE is thrilled to offer these classes as a free service to the community with the hope to inspire a sense of interest and compassion for animals in our local youth.
If you’d like to arrange a fun lesson for your group, please email our Programs Manager Danae Davis at email@example.com.
Here is an overview of our program lessons:
1. Responsible Pet Ownership
- Students will learn the basic needs of animals
- Students will be able to identify the correlation between their needs and the needs of pets
- Students will learn the importance of being a responsible pet owner
- Students will learn the character traits of respect and responsibility
2. Animal Behavior
- Students will learn how to safely approach cats and dogs
- Students will learn what to do when they see a stray animal or dangerous looking animal
- Students will learn the different ways dogs and cats communicate their emotions
- Students will learn the character traits of respect, preparedness, responsibility, and kindness
3. Pet Safety
- Students will learn the importance of veterinary care
- Students will learn the household/outside dangers for their pets
- Students will learn the character traits of responsibility and preparedness
4. Kind vs. Cruel
- Students will understand the difference between kindness and cruelty (abuse vs. neglect)
- Students will learn how to treat animals in a humane way
- Students will be introduced to feelings of empathy and compassion for animals
- Students will learn the character traits of morality, kindness, and fairness
5. Pet Overpopulation
- Students will learn about pet overpopulation
- Students will learn the importance of spaying/neutering your pet
- Students will learn the character trait of responsibility
6. Animal Related Careers
- Students will be introduced to different careers involved with animals
- Students will learn ways to volunteer and get involved with animal welfare
- Students will learn the character traits of citizenship and community involvement
*This class includes an optional tour of the Veterinary Specialty Hospital in Sorrento Valley.