How to Create a Pet First Aid Kit
Do you have a first aid kit prepared for your dog or cat? Of course, it’s important to take your pet to the vet for any serious illnesses or injuries. But for minor health issues or to provide emergency care at home before you can get to the vet, a first aid kit for your dog or cat is essential. Here are some basic items you should have on hand for pet first aid.
- Gauze pads, bandages, and adhesive tape
- Antibiotic ointment
- Towels or blankets (look for foil emergency blankets)
- Eye dropper or syringe
- Antiseptic wipes
- Sterile saline solution
- Rectal thermometer and lubricant
- Hydrogen peroxide, milk of magnesia, or activated charcoal (to induce vomiting)
- Tweezers or needle nosed pliers
- Antihistamine tablets for bee sting reactions (talk to your vet about dosage)
- Styptic powder or pencil
- Ice pack
- Leash and muzzle (pillowcase for cats)
- Disposable rubber gloves
Don’t forget to bring a small first aid kit when you go hiking or camping with your dog. You can also look for pre-made pet first aid kits at the pet store or online.
For basic pet first aid procedures, check out the American Veterinary Medical Association’s website HERE.